Subject: RE: 4000/200 requirements?
To: Carlini, Antonio <Antonio.Carlini@riverstonenet.com>
From: Matt London <matt@knm.yi.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/06/2001 15:40:05
Hi,

> 	>2.  The original boardset had a bus load card (a big board full of
> 	>    power dissipation bus loading resistors), a M90xx something.
> 	>    Is that really required with a 4000/200 cpu, or is that only
> 	>    supposed to be used when the boardset lightly loads the power
> 	>    busses?  Is it actually functioning as a bus terminator card
> 	>    rather than a true bus load card?
>
> 	It is just a load card. The BA200 series boxes have two PSUs,
> 	one for each half of the Qbus slots. These are (IIRC) switched mode
> 	PSUs and they don't run unless there is a minimum load
> 	present. Usually the processor plus memory is
> 	enough to run the RH PSU and a KDA50 is enough
> 	for the LH PSU.

There are? When I got my 3300 (in a BA215 I think) - it's only got the one
PSU that I could see - on the left. Unless there's something I don't know
about. I know the BA213 has dual PSUs tho - but that's got 12 slots rather
than 6.

-- Matt

---
E-mail:
  matt@pkl.net, matt@knm.yi.org, matt@printf.net
  matt@m-techdiagnostics.ltd.uk, matthew.london@stud.umist.ac.uk
  mattl@vcd.student.utwente.nl, mlondon@mail.talk-101.com
Web Page:
  http://knm.yi.org/
  http://pkl.net/~matt/

PGP Key fingerprint = 00BF 19FE D5F5 8EAD 2FD5  D102 260E 8BA7 EEE4 8D7F
PGP Key http://knm.yi.org/matt-pgp.html