Subject: Re: More on Vaxen
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/05/2001 13:44:08
On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Chuck McManis wrote:
> linc wrote:

> > So, what's the best or most feasable answer to my dilemma?
>
> Best : Find a SCSI card
> Most Feasible: Find an ESDI card & drive.
>
> Cards to look for, the Dilog DQ696, Emulex QD21 (IIRC), or a RQD11/E.

ESDI drives and cards can be found fairly cheaply. In addition to the
above, I've had good luck with the Dilog SQ706A Q-bus SCSI controller in
my MicroVAX II.

And if you have a DEQNA or DELQA (also fairly cheap/easy to come by) you
can go the netboot/NFS filesytem route.  It's not the fastest option in
the world, but it's certainly the cheapest in terms of having lots of
storage available.  The cost of an old PC with a NIC, a few gigs of IDE
disk drives and a network hub is far less than trying to equip a MicroVAX
with equivalent local storage.  (Unless you find someone who's kind).

You can still keep the RQDX3 MFM controller and use smaller RDxx series
drives for things like swap space or /tmp space.

-brian.