Subject: Re: More on Vaxen
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@freegate.com>
From: linc <linc@thelinuxlink.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/05/2001 14:25:58
On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Chuck McManis wrote:

> MFM drives are not a problem on RQDX3's from a support standpoint. They are
> from a reliability standpoint. At 63MB Linc has an RD53 which was not a
> very reliable drive, the ~150MB RD54s are better but difficult to come by.
> ESDI drives are better choices if you have an ESDI controller.
>
> Ragge's work was on MFM support with the VS2K. That made things much better
> for that system.
>
> --Chuck

So, what's the best or most feasable answer to my dilemma?  Try hard to
find a qbus scsi card (right!), run them over nfs, find an esdi controller
and drive, find a bigger-more reliable MFM drive?  I really want to get
them working - especially the VSIII - it's tool cool to just sit there and
too cool to just run the NetBSD installation utility.....

-Linc Fessenden

--
  2:22pm  up 48 days,  2:20,  4 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.03, 1.14