Subject: Re: on Vaxen
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: John <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/04/2001 14:14:45
> > It is straightforward. Get
> > ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/pmax/snapshot/NetBSD-1.5.1_BETA2/binary/sets/base.tgz
> > and untar usr/sbin/mopd from it.
> >

> It is not straight forward at all.  How am I supposed to know
> that the BETA mopd even works?  The current sure as hell doesn't.  Also
> how am I supposed to know if there are any dependancy issues with
> upgrading or downgrading mopd?  There is no significant
> documentation on it.

There isn't much documentation, but lots of people here use it. MOP isn't
what's beta; NetBSD 1.5.1 is. So yes, it does work.

If you get the new base.tgz, that will update lots of binaries (if you
want it to). mopd is not a huge, complex beast, so dependencies aren't
going to be an issue between 1.5 and 1.5.1 beta.

> Sheesh.. Friendly place.

They are, aren't they! They helped me quite a bit when I got my first VAX
a month ago - got the serial console working, got mop and friends working,
and installed NetBSD!

If you'd like, I prepared a very straightforward, handholding tutorial for
netbooting VAX. I have a 4000/60, so the only thing you'd need to do
differently is to use different command lines for looking at ethernet and
telling it to boot ethernet.

Want me to send it?

John Klos
--
The proof of a system's value is its existence.