Subject: Re: uV 3100-80?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/03/2001 13:33:00
> I've just had two VAXen land on me.  The front panel of the one I have
> right next to me now says it's a "MicroVAX 3100-80".  The POST messages
> and the lettering on the board say it's a KA47.  (Specifically, I see
> "KA47-A V1.4-38D-V4.2".)

Nice machine :-)

> And NetBSD mostly works, provided I use the 20010509-1.5.1_BETA2
> snapshot kernel.  (The 1.4.2 kernel hiccups badly with the serial line,
> doesn't find the SCSI interface at all, and panics as soon as I try to
> "Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh: "; I haven't tried my 1.4T
> source tree's GENERIC kernel yet.)

That machine wasn't supported by 1.4. Why are you trying to run that
old release? :-)

> However, there is an oddity.  Despiet working, the kernel misidentifies
> the machine; it says
>
> VAXstation 4000/60
> cpu: KA46
>
> and the machine is a 3100-80, a KA47.  (And it's not just a 4000/60 in
> a 3100-80 case; the silk-screening on the board also says it's a KA47.)

It probably doesn't matter at all. The identification part is just cosmetic,
but I assume that Michael will ask you about some valuse soon and then
it will be fixed :-)

> 	1) The kernel doesn't like the bootblocks:
>
> WARNING: you must update your boot blocks.

Yes, you are using 1.4 boot blocks with an 1.5 kernel.

> 	2) The booter doesn't know how to do timeouts; I see

Because you are using a too old boot. Update your boot blocks :-)

-- Ragge