Subject: Re: VAXstation m90 problems?
To: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/02/2001 14:21:26
Hi !

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Robert F Schaefer wrote:
> > [...]
> > I know... it is just sh*t! But i'm also still waiting for a fix. Maybe booting
> > VMS helps? Never tried. I even don't know where this gets trashed in NetBSD.
>
> Maybe submit a PR?  Booting back into VMS doesn't seem to help.  If I get
> the chance, I'll take a look at the console, and see if there's anything
> there that might do something.  I hate to send an official bitch about
> something without being able to send a patch along with it.

Yes, that's the reason why i didn't take a closer look at it. It doesn't seem
to be a hardware problem. But in ka49_halt() there happens:

        ((u_int8_t *) clk_page)[KA49_CPMBX] = KA49_HLT_HALT;

Didn't search where exactly this writes to, but maybe the NVRAM, and maybe
there is a checksum over all the values, and this is mangled now. I have one
"virgin" 4000/90, which never booted NetBSD, so i have another try left :)

Just didn't find the time to check out everything, and the problem is just a
kind of "optical" problem, only caveat of this is the failing auto-boot, the
rest isn't incfluenced at all. And usually it isn't possible to destroy
hardware by software (except installing Windows :), so this can be no further
problem. Knowing the reason for a 512 error on the system board would help,
but who has that deep documentation of this machine to look for it?

...Michael

--
visit http://www.bsdfans.org/   Home network powered by: NetBSD OpenBSD FreeBSD
Solaris HP-UX IRIX AIX MUNIX Tru64 Ultrix VMS SINIX OpenStep MacOS and 230V AC