Subject: Avail FSale RRD40 CD-ROM i/f for MicroVAX
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/01/2001 20:36:03
Hi Everyone,

I've got an extra RRD40/RRD50 (M7552) interface, with the cab kit,
available for sale. I would like to get $20 for it plus postage. This is an
MSCP disk controller that connects to a DEC RRD40 or RRD50 CD-ROM drive. If
you get one of the RRD40's with the 15 pin connector and a disc caddy (many
resellers will have these for < $100, often less than $20) then with this
card and that drive you can install NetBSD from CD-ROM on your MicroVAX.
Note that the RRD40 is slow (1X CDROM) so not very desirable, but it is at
least 10x the speed of a TK50! :-)
And the RRD40 doesn't eat every third CD you feed it!

For those of you waiting to find a SCSI controller this may be a good
intermediate step.
--Chuck