Subject: Re: Chuck, do preserve copies of the BI documentation please!!!
To: Vance Dereksen <vance@ikickass.org>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/30/2001 23:00:27
Vance Dereksen wrote:

> It would be cool to do a high-res transparency scan of it at a print
> shop.  I would kick some money the way of whoever wanted to do it.  (I
> could probably have it done... either way)

I was more talking about PDF files that contain pixels but cleaned
up and very readable for that. HP has quite nifty scanners that
do that all for you and send the result per e-mail. I know we have
such a machine at our premises, I just can't find it.

Someone can take these files and run OCR on them. The PDF format
can contain both, pixel and OCR in different layers, as far as
I understand. The important point is that those files would be

- quickly generated (particularily from DEC's favorite ring
  bound manuals)

- easily stored and viewed

regards
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine