Subject: Re: VAX now runs multicpu!
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/30/2001 16:50:37
On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 06:15:54PM +0000, Gunther Schadow wrote:
> Anders Magnusson wrote:
> >
> > I just got a VAX 8350 with 3 CPUs to use all three processors.
> > I have tested it a little, and it seems to work quite fine :-)
> > It shouldn't be too hard to make it running on some funnier
> > machines, like the 8800 and the 6000 series.
> >
> > The VAX 8350 system is probably the slowest multiprocessor system
> > that NetBSD will ever support; each CPU does about 2VUPS (~2MIPS) :-)
>
> Cool! Thanks, even more to look forward to when I finally have a storage
> setup :-) Slowest multi-CPU system? What about the 11/785? It should be
> 4 x 1 VUP, right? Has anyone ever seen one?

I think you have the model numbers mixed up.  A 785 is a 780 with an
upgraded processor board.  A 782 is two 780s connected by a shared-memory
box.  Though I don't think they were ever officially cataloged, the
additional ports on the shared-memory box could be used to build "783"
and "784" configurations and reportedly at least some of these were in
fact shipped from the factory as that configuration and had actual DEC
"VAX 11/784" badges on them (there was one such at Ontario Hydro, IIRC).

Two 785s hooked up to the SHM box made a 787.  I don't know if there were
788s or 789s out there.

Architecturally this is a rather strange beast; not really like the SMP
machines NetBSD currently runs on.  Support might be quite a bit of work.

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron