Subject: RE: Chuck, do preserve copies of the BI documentation please!!!
From: Carlini, Antonio <Antonio.Carlini@riverstonenet.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/30/2001 13:16:56
> Chuck McManis wrote:
>
	>"Carlini, Antonio" wrote:
	>
	>>         Before you get *too* excited however, I'm pretty sure the
	>>         first one is STD 057, the VAXBI standard doc. This is to
	>>         BI as the VAX Architecture Reference Manual is to the
	>>         VAX. It tells you how the bus works in considerable
	>>         detail (hardware and software conventions) but it won't
	>>         say much about how a KDB50 works.

	>This is probably correct. It also includes pinouts and timing
diagrams for

	Now that I've let the auction load with pictures (lovely
	things modems!) it looks like this is not STD 057.
	It's more likely to be whatever a BI licencee got
	(i.e. a version of 057 for restricted public consumption).

	>portion that got the most use. I am still unclear if 'VAXBI' and
'BI' are the
	>same bus, as the docs don't mention them on the VAX 11/78x series,
just the
	>6000 and 8000 series. Could be they were extinct by then. (1986 is
the
	>publishing date)

	The 11/78x and 86x0 used SBI (Synchronous Backplane Interconnect?).

	VAXBI was (IIRC) the original name ... it was after all a VAX
Backplane
	(or Bus?) Interconnect. The some of the MIPS boxes went and used
	it too so the name seemed to change to BI (presumably to
	hide it's VAX heritage).

	BI was used as the system bus on the Scorpios (82x0/83x0) and as
	an I/O bus on the Nautilus (85x0/8700/8800) and Polarstar (88x0),
	VAX 6000 series and the VAX 9000. It was also used in the
	VAXstation 8000 (which was really a VAX 8200 squeezed into
	a much smaller box with some graphics widgets thrown in).

	It also cropped up in the DECsystem 5800.

	Antonio