Subject: Can one repair (large) blowers?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org, classicmp@classicmp.org>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/30/2001 04:23:28
Hi,

I've two VAX 6000 in my garage. I have 6 blowers (larger about
10" diameter), each machine needs two blowers, but only 3 of
the blowers I have work.

The machines have been turned off to be replaced and were at
a good storage room anywhere between 6 and 2 months before I
got them and tried starting them up. Seems like after
having spun for 10 years 24/7 those blowers did not tolerate
the long rest at all. Now they are dead. What can I do?

The blowers still turn easily by hand and look completely
innocent. There is no smell or sound or anything. Just won't
turn. Even if I help them start manually I do not sense
noticeable sustained rotation when power is applied to them.
There is no externally visible dirt, much less than on a PC's
blower after only two years of home use!!

I could open them up and look, but maybe some wizard here
can give me some more targeted ideas. With 3 out of 6 this
seems to be a more common problem! I'm afraid they are non
replaceable so I must repair them somehow.

thanks
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine