Subject: Re: Update for NetBoot HOWTO / DEUNA and DEBNA names
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/30/2001 03:41:59
Anders Magnusson wrote:

> > und the DEBNA interfaces.
> >
> The DEBNA/DEBNT/DEBNK interfaces are called "ET". On a 8200 they are
> addressed as "ETxn" where x is BI slot number and n is zero.
> The naming on the 6000 machines is quite different, though.

it's probably a moot point as you will not get beyond boot phase
2 with an XMI/BI machine and NetBSD right now. But the naming would
be:

>>> BOOT /XMI:x /BI:y ET0

where x is the BI adapter going to the BI bus where ethernet card
sits and y is it's lot number. The x is most likely E or D. A
SHOW CONFIGURATION shows a list of cards so it's easy to find
out those numbers even with closed doors and without confusing
D and E. SHOW ETHERNET shows the MAC addresses, very conveniently.

One other side note: if MAC address or anything is unknown and
hard to get out from the console or if network booting seems to
hang, I highly recommend tcpdump on the boot server to see what's
going on. Can tell you the requesting ethernet MAC too.

regards
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine