Subject: Re: Vaxen Fun!
To: linc <linc@thelinuxlink.net>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/29/2001 15:00:09
On Mon, 28 May 2001, linc wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if you all wouldn't mind listing
> what kind(s) of vaxen you have running and what yo use them for.  Since i
> am now absolutely hooked on the archetecture of these machines, i was
> wondering what kind of use they actually get these days.

*grin* methinks you're gonna see some pretty large replies to this one..
hehehehehe

for myself, i have:

-2 11/750's, one of which is designated the parts machine for the first.
That machine theoretically has a 4.2BSD install on trhee RA81's but i havent
yet gotten it to boot. it's a back-burner project to get the machine running
again. It lost some boards and a lot of cables and i just need the time
to sort it all out and put it back together.
-the vitals of a vax6000. I have everything but the cabinet. Just a pile of
cardages, power supplies, cables, etc. This was because i got the machine
from someone about 250 miles from home, and had nothing but a Volkswagen
to bring it home in. so, i stripped it and brought home the necessary
parts. I have enough boards for several 6000 machines though, including
at least 15 or 16 32MB memory boards, 2 6k400 processors, 2 6k300
processors, lots of BI stuff, an XMI DSSI interface, some random bits.
someday ill put this thing together and run it.
-A 4000/VLC. This runs netbsd 1.5 and currently is on loan to my brother,
who wanted a non-PeeCee machine to tinker with and learn some more UNIX
stuff on.
-a 4000/60. Also running netbsd, 1.5Y i think. it is bascially a
bootp/mopd/nfs server for other machines
-a 3100/38. Running ultrix 4.4, its ain job is LAT stuff for a DECserver 200
-a 3100/48. running Ultrix 4.4, its main job is just to write test kernels
to disks shared by the 4000/600.
-a 4000/600 (grin), currently boots NetBSD from the 4000/60, (or from a
3000/600 alpha box, which runs netbsd 1.3), and VMS 7.1 from the DSSI disks,
but currently is being used for writing KA6[89]0 support in 4.3BSD-tahoe
and after that, reno. It has two CMD cqd423's, one of which shares its
bus with the 3100/48, and boots from a disk that i use the ultrix install
to write test kernels into.
-a uvII, running ultrix 3.0, which is pretty much only used when i need to
read or write TK50s.
-a 3600, running 4.3tahoe, until feb of this year it was my public VAX
system.
-another 3600, running 4.3tahoe, which replaced the first one's job. this
one is on the fast network at CMU as opposed to the slow feed at home.
-a 3520, missing a power supply, i think i should stop considering this
one a computer :)
-a microVAX 3100/40, doing nothing right now but gathering dust. someday ill
start using it for something
-an 11/730, which just sits wrapped in plastic on the back porch to scare
roving gangs of wintels out of the neighborhood.. :)

happy hacking,
isildur