Subject: Re: Making use of the CI bus as IP data link ...
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: None <roart@nvg.ntnu.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/29/2001 00:25:56
On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 08:13:09PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On May 29, Geoff Roberts wrote:
> > There is FDDI stuff around, but not sure what speed it runs at.
>
>   100Mbps
>
> > I've often wondered the same thing, only problem is that it is Big Vax
> > to Big Vax or HSC only in
> > the hardware area, though ISTR hearing there was now a CI interface for
> > one of the desktop boxen (later not MV 3100 vintage)
> > released about a year or so back.  But if you had a couple of CI
> > equipped vaxen I don't see why it couldn't be used as a fast
> > network link.    Antonio or the other DECsperts here may be able to tell
> > you more.
>
>   I've heard that there are even CI interfaces for PCI bus.  If NetBSD
> were to have drivers for that, think of the possibilities!

Those may cost some (they are supposedly mostly in use).
Around $7000 for a new one, and around $3000 for a used one (the used one
seen on ebay a while ago).

The main cluster bus now is Memory Channel, a PCI adapter costs around $2500
(I think Sun have something similar; there are rumours about Sun
reverse-engineering DEC/Compaq tech)

--
-Roar Thronęs