Subject: Re: VAX knobs and buttons...
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/29/2001 09:23:18
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gunther Schadow" <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To: "Robert F Schaefer" <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
Cc: "NetBSD port-vax" <port-vax@netbsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2001 6:57 AM

> Well, how different can a 63xx console be from a 64xx console?

It isn't.  AFAIK, all the 6K's have the same keyswitch/led setup.
It didn't change til the 7000's and even that wasn't real different.

> you have two key switches with three positions each? One reset
> button and 6 additional indicator LEDs? If so, I could send you
> excerpts of my 6400 user manual or answer questions. It's really
> not very exciting at that point.
>
> Upper key switch:
>
> Standby - only memory is powered
> Enable  - CPU and BI bus powered up
> Secure  - everything powered up and console and reset button
>           locked so you can't stop it.
>
> Lower key switch:
>
> Update - use when changing the console and boot settings and updating
>          EEPROM
> Halt   - shut down OS run and go into console mode
> Auto   - automatic boot when powered on or reset. Requires you to
>          define a default boot device (SET BOOT DEFAULT ...)
>
> The extra indicator LEDs are simple. It's true, don't worry about
> "FAULT",

Uh, I wouldn't go that far, a fault light after a post indicates
something has failed, but
I've neever seen it lit in anger.  It's most useful as an "I've finished
my post and am trying to boot now" light.

> just plug in a console terminal to see what's going on.

Can't do anything much without it, technically, possible to RESET/reboot
it if
the DEFAULT boot setting is correct and all the serial numbers on the
processors match,
otherwise it won't without you manually typing BOOT after the cold start
fails with the
serial number warning.

> You have a TU81? Lucky you. I watch out for one too. Sounds
> like fun.

As 9 tracks go they are simple, reliable, easy to work and look
interesting.
I'm not sure if you can boot from a KLESI/TU81+ set, never tried, must
have
a look.

> Question: if you put a KDB50 card set into the BI bus without
> cab kit and power up, what do you see? I see only two tiny red
> LEDs lit on the T1002 card, nothing at the T1003 card and no
> yellow LED on either of them.

Doesn't sound good, but part of the cab kit is a cable that joins the
two cards,
so this might be normal.   They have to be in adjacent slots because the
link cable is only 2" long IIRC.
I'll try it at home and see what happens if I put them in two vacant
slots.

>Since it will take me a while to
> get my cab kit and drive to test things out, I would *need*
> to know if at least the cards are working thus far. Could
> someone please try real quick? If those cards appear not
> to self test properly, I have a reason to return them for some
> other set that includes a cab kit. (For example, my CI card
> set had at least one yellow light even without a cab kit
> in the back.

Different card different operation, you can't judge the behaviour of the
KDB50 based on this.

> ... DON'T rip out your cab kit, only swap the
> boards to a free slot to test.)

Indeed, and make sure the slot is not fitted with a cab kit for some
other adaptor, or you might get
nasty side effects.

Cheers

Geoff in Oz