Subject: Re: VAX knobs and buttons...
To: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
From: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/28/2001 21:03:30
On Tue, 29 May 2001, Geoff Roberts wrote:

> > The extra indicator LEDs are simple. It's true, don't worry about
> > "FAULT",
>
> Uh, I wouldn't go that far, a fault light after a post indicates
> something has failed, but
> I've neever seen it lit in anger.  It's most useful as an "I've finished
> my post and am trying to boot now" light.

Hmmm.  I wasn't paying that much attention to the VAX itself when the original
owner was giving me the rundown, but it seemed to me that the FAULT light
was on when he was at the console prompt.  I dunno.

> > just plug in a console terminal to see what's going on.
>
> Can't do anything much without it, technically, possible to RESET/reboot
> it if
> the DEFAULT boot setting is correct and all the serial numbers on the
> processors match,
> otherwise it won't without you manually typing BOOT after the cold start
> fails with the
> serial number warning.

I got it straight from the server room, I watched 'em shut her down.  I
even managed to leave all the cards in the cages, and the cab kits
attached (mostly, I guess).

> Geoff in Oz

Bob