Subject: Re: VAX knobs and buttons...
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/28/2001 20:49:18
On Mon, 28 May 2001, Gunther Schadow wrote:

> Robert F Schaefer wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone give me (or tell me where to find) the rundown on the various
>
> Well, how different can a 63xx console be from a 64xx console? Do
>
> Upper key switch:
>
> Standby - only memory is powered
> Enable  - CPU and BI bus powered up
> Secure  - everything powered up and console and reset button
>           locked so you can't stop it.
>
> Lower key switch:
>
> Update - use when changing the console and boot settings and updating
>          EEPROM
> Halt   - shut down OS run and go into console mode
> Auto   - automatic boot when powered on or reset. Requires you to
>          define a default boot device (SET BOOT DEFAULT ...)

I found emperical evidence to support this.  :)  Only thing I didn't play
with too long was `update'-- it sounded awfully permanent.

> The extra indicator LEDs are simple. It's true, don't worry about
> "FAULT", just plug in a console terminal to see what's going on.

Yup, got an honest-to-goodness VT-220 plugged in.  I can POST, but I'm
having trouble booting VMS (all that's on the drives, AFAIK),  Keep
getting `Not an I/O adapter' or some such.  She's not seeing all the BI
cards, either.  The 8 port async card is missing, for one, and a few
others.  I dunno which ones, tho.  Perhaps I twisted a cable when I was
reassembling her.

> You have about 10 commands to play with in terminal mode. You can
> see what devices you have and can save and update EEPROM from
> and to tape. Need writable tape for that (I need to do the
> bulk erasing of TK50 tape tomorrow so I can use it with TK70
> to write EEPROM.) It is exciting at first, but gets boring
> after a while. Get something to boot from :-). Watching the
> red green and yellow lights during self test is kinda fun
> though, especially when the processors elect the boot processor.

Got one tk70 tape, with an old stand-alone backup that `never finished
5.whatever via tk70?

> You have a TU81? Lucky you. I watch out for one too. Sounds
> like fun.

It's a purty little thing, has an RA-82 in the drawer, and came with 10
brand-spank-me-new tapes, still in the shipping box from the supplier.  But,
she made a bad sound when I flipped the handle to energize her.  It was a
buzz/humm kind of sound that generally indicates a dead short, but it
didn't trip the 20A breaker, so I have my fingers crossed...  Hadda lay it
down in the back of the van to get it home, perhaps something got loose.
I'm gonna open it up Before Too Long and take a look-see.

> Question: if you put a KDB50 card set into the BI bus without
> cab kit and power up, what do you see? I see only two tiny red
> LEDs lit on the T1002 card, nothing at the T1003 card and no
> yellow LED on either of them. Since it will take me a while to
> get my cab kit and drive to test things out, I would *need*
> to know if at least the cards are working thus far. Could
> someone please try real quick? If those cards appear not
> to self test properly, I have a reason to return them for some
> other set that includes a cab kit. (For example, my CI card
> set had at least one yellow light even without a cab kit
> in the back. ... DON'T rip out your cab kit, only swap the
> boards to a free slot to test.)

(wouldn't know a KDB50 if it bit me on the ass, sorry.)

> Thanks,
> -Gunther

Bob