Subject: Re: VAX 6420 IS RUNNING!!! (Yeah!)
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/28/2001 15:11:00
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gunther Schadow" <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To: "Geoff Roberts" <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
Cc: <port-vax@netbsd.org>
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2001 3:10 PM

> thanks, yes, I like it a lot. On the box it says 420 but now that I
> have 6 processors running (right now the better term is "idling" :-)
> in it, it's a 460. Oh well :-)

A rose by any other name.......

> > Might just need reseating.  And check all the plugs and cables to
the
> > backplane and TK70.
>
> There is just one plug for all I know. I actually moved it to
> another slot and it worked there. The TK70 cabling is one of the
> easier parts ...

Yes.  The TK70 is also the least reliable part of the machine according
to a DEC FS guy.
Never use ours to be honest.

> ouch! now they have me hostage! You know that they charge for
> cab kits about the same price as for cards

Pretty typical.  Mindset: Big computer = big company with deep pockets,
so they charge as much as they can.

>... But I stay calm
> right now. Do you think the cabling is more complex than that of
> the CI adapter pair?

Yes, I think so.

> What would really help me a lot is if you
> could give me some part number(s) for this cab kit, since most
> vendors do not give much description of cab kits.

Ok, will have a look and see if I can find that.

> Also, an picture of the setup

Will do.  Might take a day or two, depends when I can pinch the digicam
from the library. ;^)
I have a stack of other stuff I want to document as well whilst I have
it, but it has been in heavy use
and I haven't been able to get hold of it as quick as I would have
liked.

> and/or the manual

Unfortunately I don't have a manual for my KDB50, it was already in a
machine I acquired.
I moved it to another, without much difficulty, but there are about 4 or
5 ribbon cables IIRC.

> would help me a great
> deal.
>
> BTW: Isildur has written the tape image, so don't worry. I'll
> get mine up and will forward this to Brian Chase as well.

Ok!  Sounds good.

Cheers

Geoff in Oz