Subject: Re: VAX 6420 IS RUNNING!!! (Yeah!)
To: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/28/2001 05:40:31
Geoff Roberts wrote:

> Ok, looks like it tried to boot from a HSC that isn't there now.
> Looks good to me.  512Mb!  Whoa!  Lucky boy!
> And it looks to me like it's a 6440 not a 6420 judging by the 4 'P'
> marks.
> Major box.

thanks, yes, I like it a lot. On the box it says 420 but now that I
have 6 processors running (right now the better term is "idling" :-)
in it, it's a 460. Oh well :-)

> Might just need reseating.  And check all the plugs and cables to the
> backplane and TK70.

There is just one plug for all I know. I actually moved it to
another slot and it worked there. The TK70 cabling is one of the
easier parts ...

> > I can't wait actually booting the machine. But until then I need
> > a boot device. I have one DSSI drive RF73 loose in the cabinet.
> > I am hoping to get a KFMSA board with cable kit soon (a honorable
> > donor promised them to me, but he is very busy.) I will get
> > KDB50 boards (SDI) on Tuesday, but those have neither cables
> > nor do I have an SDI drive.
>
> this presents a problem.  I had a look in the back of my 6430
> and the the KDB50 cables and connectors are unlikely to be something
> you could fudge up yourself in a reasonable time, even assuming you
> had/can get the connectors, which are quite high density and unusual.
> You are going to need the cabinet kit (the cable harness and the
> outlet plate for the back of the machine) or you will get nowhere.
> I suggest contacting the source of the KDB50 cards, they may
> have the cab kit somewhere.

ouch! now they have me hostage! You know that they charge for
cab kits about the same price as for cards ... But I stay calm
right now. Do you think the cabling is more complex than that of
the CI adapter pair? What would really help me a lot is if you
could give me some part number(s) for this cab kit, since most
vendors do not give much description of cab kits. Also, an
picture of the setup and/or the manual would help me a great
deal. Thanks!

BTW: Isildur has written the tape image, so don't worry. I'll
get mine up and will forward this to Brian Chase as well.

Thanks,
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine