Subject: Re: softdeps (Was: Installing on more than one harddisk)
To: None <abs@netbsd.org>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@tappedin.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/27/2001 19:28:33
>Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 00:03:08 +0100 (BST)
>From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
>
>On Sun, 27 May 2001, John wrote:
>
>> softdeps definitely needs to be made more stable.
>
>	On what system/os rev, and how did you make it fall over?

I mostly played around with softdeps on i386.  Admittedly I haven't
tried it recently -- I gave up a few months ago, and decided to wait
until the general consensus was that it had been fixed.

I could never reproduce the problem consistently.  It usually seemed
to get triggered during heavy concurrent use of a filesystem.
Sometimes it would be fine for a few days, then it would fall over and
die.

>	I fully believe there are problems left in softdep, I'm just
>	curious to try to find out what other people are doing to tickle
>	them, to make sure its PRed (and that I know what not to try :)

It's also possible that it has been fixed, and I'm just paranoid.
Maybe I'll soon become brave enough to turn it on again on one of my
machines and see what happens.