Subject: Re: Installing on more than one harddisk
To: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: John <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/27/2001 13:25:49
> > It will also slow you down a lot when softdeps crash your system and
> > you have to start over from scratch.  It's not a feature I'd recommend
> > to a beginner.
> Softdeps are known to work well. There are no bugs in it. ;-)

"No bugs" is a bit of a stretch. I use softdeps on the machines I use to
build pkgsrc binaries, but I do not use them on any of my servers.

Frankly, they're fine when you have one or two serial tasks running, but
do a few things that would thrash a drive heavily and softdeps will dump.

softdeps definitely needs to be made more stable.

John Klos