Subject: Re: Why do I keep hearing 4.3 BSD these days? (was: Re: The unbeara
To: None <vixie@mfnx.net>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/27/2001 18:32:15
On 26 May, Paul A Vixie wrote:

> In VMS and MPE, shared libraries are system level objects which are known
> to the kernel's loader.
Very interresting. It is allways enlightening to look beyond the *ix
horizon. It is sad that I don't have the time to explore e.g. VMS. My
4k200 and the 4k400 would be a very nice cluster... (An other thing
that may Unixes can learn from VMS).

> I'm not anti-UNIX.
Ahhmmm. I never expected that Paul A. Vixie is anti-UNIX. :-)
I know that you are the (co) author of many well knowen programms, cron
and bind comes here first in my mind.

> The other systems are also toys in their own ways, and
> do I run UNIX (BSD to be precise) and not VMS or MPE.  But the toyness runs
> the opposite way when it comes to shared libraries.  UNIX's are just a toy,
> and a broken toy at that.
Well. Nothing is perfect. But for me, Unix is the least unperfect
system amongst all that unperfect systems.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen