Subject: Re: Why do I keep hearing 4.3 BSD these days? (was: Re: The unbearable ...)
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/25/2001 20:44:18
hehe

we mean good old 4.3-tahoe (and sometimes 4.3-reno) berkeley UNIX.
why the repeated mention of it? cause it is blazing fast even on a slow
VAX. yes, the virtual memory system is much more primitive- it is built
directly on top of the VAX virtual memory system, and was in 4.3reno and
4.4 replaced with the Mach VM system because the 4.3tahoe and older VM
system was so vax-freidnly that it was a pain to port to anything else.
however, 4.3tahoe is fast and lean largely because of two things:
1, it predates POSIX by a year. so, theres none of the POSIX bloat in it.
2, it has not systemV compatibility.
also, there are no shared libraries (which i think is a good thind, i
think shared libraries are an abomination, a security and reliability
disaster, and an administration pain in the ass, as well as plain ugly)
and the VM system in general, while extremely VAX-specific, is quite
zippy. you cant have things like mmap very easily at all, the way it is
done, so there are some features that a lot of people commonly rely on
now that are absent in 4.3, but in general, it is a perfectly good UNIX,
one that i personally find very comfortable and a wonderful environment,
its tiny, it's fast, and once you get the (now free) UNIX source license
from SCO, you can try it out yourself, too! i'm one of the distributors
of the PUPS archive, so once you get your license, i can send you a CD or
tape of it.

(btw gunther, im making another try for your ultrix tape, i havent forgotten)
I like and use NetBSD largely because it is the closest thing to Ultrix
and older BSD-UNIXen, which are my real favorites. (and sunos 4.1.3 :)