Subject: Why do I keep hearing 4.3 BSD these days? (was: Re: The unbearable ...)
To: Paul A Vixie <vixie@mfnx.net>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/25/2001 21:27:40
Hi,

now I have to ask, ...

> > Asked
> > another way, what would the VAX world loose between NetBSD 1.5 & BSD 4.3
> > kernels?  How much user-land would one loose access to by having a leaner
> > kernel?
> > > As a demo of how light 4.3 is, the compiled kernel is around 150k

... why is it that suddenly I hear people talking about 4.3 BSD?
What kind of release do you refer to? 4.3BSD/Net2? Has another
source code tree turned up on the net? Has the current legal owner
of the remaining proprietory stuff finally set this free (so that
the whole legal battle with UCB in the mid 90s was pointless?)
Why not 4.4BSD Lite? Or are you talking Ultrix? Or do you mean
FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE :-)

regards,
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine