Subject: Re: big-iron VAX
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@tmok.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/25/2001 17:24:17
On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 10:34:34PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> The only machines that I *know* require three phases are the 86x0
> machines, since they have two serious fans that are driven by three phase
> motors. (Standing behind an open 86x0 machine really makes you want to
> have some storm tested clothing on)

and with some work don't *require* since any 3-phase motor can be rewired for
single phase, or probably better yet be replaced with a nice modern single
phase motor.  electric motors have made a fair amount of progress in the last
couple years that three phase isn't absolutely nessesary for big power anymore.
they are still better, but not as needed these days.

cheers,

-brian