Subject: Re: VAX 6420: what KDB50 cabling? RA91 anywhere?
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/25/2001 05:51:55
Lord Isildur wrote:
> there are a number of third party 9track drives out there, the name that
> comes to mind as either most commonly mentioned or most popular is
> Cipher.
> the DEC transports are the TU80,TU78, TU81, and pals. Note that there are
> two major densities of tape: 1600 bpi, (the TU80 is a 1600 bpi drive),
> and 6250 bpi. naturally you want a drive that can do both. the TU81 is a
> nice drive, it is not too big (my TU78 is taller than me and is _liquid
> cooled_ and consumes over 3 kilowatts! looks cool but you dont want to run
> it! (i dont run mine! (btw: free TU78 to a good home, you haul it from
> pittsburgh, PA!))) , there were many models of ciphers but ht eones i
> remember were small units, about the size of an RA81 or so.

O.K. I pass :-)

> unless you have old tapes to read or you _really_ want a blast from the
> past, i wouldnt bother with 9tracks.

Well, that whole hobby obviously is a blast from the past kind of
thing, so, it would be cool. But I guess I constrain myself to
finding a TU81. Is that hooked to the KLESI adapter?

Now, are there any words about my KDB50? Like what cables I would
need to hook up an SDI drive?

thanks,
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine