Subject: Re: VAX 6420: what KDB50 cabling? RA91 anywhere?
To: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
From: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/24/2001 21:28:03
there is very certanily a condenser coil and compressor and cooling fans
in the bottom half of my TU78, with hoses carrying coolant (apprently) to
and from the tape unit itself... *grin*

isildur

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Geoff Roberts wrote:
> Eh???  My TA/TU 78 pair were power hogs to be sure, but they are not
> liquid cooled.
> The TA79 is virtually identical but it isn't either.  I think you may be
> confusing all the air/vaccuum tubing with cooling, it isn't, everthing
> on these is air driven, even the motors run on compressed air.
>
> > looks cool but you dont want to run it!
>
> Probably the best description ever of a Tx78.  I did actually run mine
> when I first got it, looks very nifty.
> I still have 2 TA79's, which were slightly better, but same basic
> design.  One day I might get adventurous and
> fire it up, but the Tu81+ is lots easier.....
>
> 250mb actually. (mine can do that density anyway)

ok, maybe that was for 1600 bpi tapes.. i dont remember now.
plus, heavy 9track use is a bit before my time..
isildur