Subject: Re: New guy...
To: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
From: linc <linc@thelinuxlink.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/24/2001 15:42:07
On Thu, 24 May 2001, NetBSD Bob wrote:

> Well, if you have the external case, you can hook that up to the M38
> and write your own boot tape!  That is how I originally got my MVII
> tapes written.  Just make sure the tape heads are well cleaned, and
> that the tape transport is actually a tk50 and not a tk70 that had
> been upgraded in the box.  You need the tk50 tape, but it will work
> or boot (AFIK) on either a tk50 or a tk70 transport.  You also need
> a somewhat non-standard DEC external scsi cable (wider than HD50)
> to mate up to the tape centronics connector.  IFF you can get that
> cable with the box, DO IT.  Make sure you check to see if the cable
> is around.  Also, check to see if there might be any tapes to go
> along with the transport.
>
> The external cases were often used on DECstations and VAXstations for
> external tape storage.  They are not necessarily MV2000 specific, but
> there was one MV2000 only tape transport in the external box, I think,
> but I forget the model numbering differences (Isildur?)?  Most likely
> you have a standard scsi TK50 transport.
>
> Bob

Aha!  The prob with that is I can't hook *anything* up to the scsi on my
vax3100..  I can't for the life of me find that silly dec proprietary scsi
cable.  I wish I could!  Besides, I thought the TK50 was only partially
scsi compatable??

-Linc.

--
  3:39pm  up 36 days,  3:37,  5 users,  load average: 1.01, 1.14, 1.19