Subject: Re: VaxStation 4000/vlc disk
To: David Moor <dmoor@technology.serco.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/24/2001 17:23:28
Hi !

On Thu, 24 May 2001, David Moor wrote:
> I'm going to start looking for a larger one, are there any specs I should be
> working to or will any 5.25 half height SCSI hard drive work?

Usual 3,5" drives work in the VLC, just use a modern half-inch high drive or
so, as Antonio stated, the 1"-high drives could lead to a open machine :)

For my success with foreign drives: I have some "any manufacturer" drive of
2 gigs or so in my VLC and i'm running VMS without any problems on this.

So just get a SCSI-II disk, preferred <= 2GB, and you will have fun. Larger
drives should just have the boot partition below 2 gigs with NetBSD, i think
more modern VMS versions also work fine with larger drives. It just might make
some problems with the PROM.

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.