Subject: Re: VAX4000-600 disks
To: None <dan@tellurian.com.au>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/24/2001 10:39:26
On 24 May, Dan Shearer wrote:

> I read that DSSI drives are unsupported for previous 4000 models,
> and presume for the -600 as well.
Yes. The internal DSSI adapters are currently unsupported. There is
currently support on the way for the KA640 CPU internal DSSI adapter.
But the KFQSA MSCP QBus to DSSI adapter is supported, as every (T)MSCP
adapter.

>   a) where can I get a SCSI adapter from? (I imagine Compaq would sell
>      them for a very large price :-)
What you want is a MSCP QBus to SCSI adapter. These are rare, everyone
wants to have one. You may find one at EPay, with a bit of luck.
Be careful: There is the KZQSA. This is a QBus to SCSI adapter, that
does mot speak the MSCP.

>   b) is it seriously possible to run these things diskless? It would seem
>      a waste, but would at least be something
Yes, it will run diskless, as every (?) VAX.

>   c) has anyone run NetBSD on such a thing before?
I run NetBSD on a VAX 4000-400. The -400 is very similar to the -600.
The support for the VAX 4000-[4567]00 is only in -current, so you need a
kernel from a recent snapshot. [uuups, there is none] You may try
ftp://ftp.unixiron.homeip.net/pub/NetBSD-vax-1.5/
This is the server of Mr. Kukat. He wrote the support for the VAX 4000.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen