Subject: Re: VAX VECTOR chip, what part number?
To: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/22/2001 17:59:08
Brian Chase wrote:

> The 2nd edition of the VAX Architecture Reference Manual give a lot of
> details about the vector architecture in chapters 12-13 (pp 429-522).
>
> Some basic stats are
>
> - 16 vector registers V0-V15
> - Each register contains 64 elements numbered 0-63.
> - Each element is 64bits wide.
>
> The vector processor normally runs asychronously from the scalar
> processors.  In section 13.3 they talk about syncronization though.
> Apparently special software instructions are provided to run the
> processors syncronously when that behavior is desired.
>
> And then Section 13.1.3 discusses vector chaining on the VAX vector
> processor.  It is supported.

Damn! And I must have gotten the first edition that doesn't contain
any of the specific stuff I need to know about my VAX 6000. I was
actually quite disappointed about the VARM as it contained little
more than the VAX Architecture Handbook. Basically it comes down to
an annotated list of machine instructions. Fine, I really would have
liked to learn about all the different generations of the busses
Unibus, QBus, XMI and BI, etc. But nothing to be found. Now you say
I just should have gotten a later edition?

Anyone wants to trade? My copy is cosmetically quite nice, and I
don't care about that at all here.

regards
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine