Subject: installing NetBSD 1.5 from RX50
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Collet <chris.collet@mail.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/21/2001 16:10:58
Hi,
I don't know if anybody has tried this, but it is possible to install NetBSD
1.5 using the 1.3.2 RX50 boot disk and miniroot. I used the 1.3.2 boot disk
to label my hard disk and copy the miniroot to it, then booted the 1.3.2
miniroot from floppy. Then I made files systems on the appropriate
partitions, mounted via NFS a partition on my PC with all the NetBSD 1.5
sets (I suppose you could do this from tape), and detarred the base kern and
etc sets. Then I used the 1.3.2 disklabel to install the 1.5 boot blocks,
configured rc.conf and fstab, and booted NetBSD 1.5 from hard disk!
Anyways, even though it appears to have worked fine, when I boot it up it
still drops me into single user mode (All I have to do is type exit to get
multiuser up), even if I do boot ra(1,0)NetBSD -a (Yes, I did
rc_configured=YES). It gets as far detecting all the devices and then askes
me for the root device, dump device and filesystem type. Is there some file
that I forgot to configure to make it know that stuff automatically? Thanks
in advance.

Chris.

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com