Subject: Re: It rained another VAX on me... will NetBSD run on it?
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@umbar.vaxpower.org>
From: NetBSD Bob <nbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/16/2001 16:38:12

> hello,
>
> ultrix never ran on the 4000's... :(

In the interest of getting NetBSD up....

> > It has a pair of M7622 ram boards for 32mb, and a M7626 processor,
> > that appears to be a VAX 4000 of some kind, and sadly, dssi drives.

What CPU's will work with these ram boards?  Any gotchas in backplanes?

Is there some combo of boards I can wheedle together to get NetBSD or
Ultrix up on the backplane/case?  Or, is it mostly a function of
finding that proverbial mystical magickal lustful Qbus scsi board?

Heaven forbid, but, can I take the MVII boardset and stuff it in
that backplane, and dongle/cable up ESDI drives internally to get
my 4.3BSD breadboard VAX stuffed into some sort of cabinet?

Is it possible to use the dssi bus cabling as ordinary scsi, IFF
I I only use two internal scsi drives, and remove the terminator
plug, terminating the last drive on the drive?  It seems to be
only a straight 50 pin cable, otherwise.

Is this cabinet one of those with the hard-to-find cable for input
power, that has the strange extra groove?

Well, I thought I would ask the strange VAXbuilding questions...(:+}}.
There has gotta be some way to use this critter!

Thanks

Bob