Subject: Re: Installation on a VAXStation 4000/60
To: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/12/2001 12:49:35
On Sat, 12 May 2001, Brian Chase wrote:

> On Sat, 12 May 2001, John wrote:

<snip>

> > Furthermore, is the disklabel compatible with any other NetBSD systems?
> > It'd be easy for me to set up a NetBSD install using an already running
> > system. Or would it?
>
> I don't know on this one.  It's a good question though.  The VAX is a
> little-endian architecture so you'd probably want to go for a similiarly
> endianed arch to test the disklabel stuff.  NetBSD does support
> endian-independent filesystem access, but I believe there's some overhead
> in this.

You might want to take a look at the information on making a bootable
CDROM.  <http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/bootcd.html>  It covers making a
hybrid disc that's bootable on {most,all} hardware that supports it, from
whatever platform you are running on.  It implys that compiling the VAX
toolchain on your host system will produce executables that will Just Work.

> -brian.

Bob