Subject: Re: Installation on a VAXStation 4000/60
To: John <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/12/2001 18:01:14

> Furthermore, is the disklabel compatible with any other NetBSD systems?
> It'd be easy for me to set up a NetBSD install using an already running
> system. Or would it?

It's at least compatible with NetBSD/alpha, but I would recommend another
way if you are installing from another arch, like m68k:

1) Label the disk. Type down the label offsets.
2) newfs the partitions, remember to use "newfs -B le" for correct byteorder.
3) Mount the partitions. You must have the kernel compiled with FFS_EI
   if it is on a big-endian machine.
4) Unpack the distribution tar files and the kernel. Remember to do
   "MAKEDEV all" in /dev on the new root.
5) Copy the file usr/mdec/xxboot to /tmp on your machine. Umount all
   filesystems. Do "dd if=/tmp/xxboot of=/dev/rsd0a" to install the
   boot blocks on the new disk.
6) Move this disk to the vax and boot. Then, from the vax, write a correct
   disklabel onto the disk.

-- Ragge