Subject: Re: VXT 2000 == Vaxstation
To: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/10/2001 08:21:20
Hello,

On Wed, 9 May 2001, John Maier wrote:
> I remember someone mentioning that this is basically a Vaxstation (3100?)
> without drives.

Not really a 3100, but maybe a bit comparable to the 4000 VLC. It uses the
same CPU, but the better ethernet adapter (the SGEC from the newer 4000s),
an improved SPX graphics (if it's a VXT2000+), but a completely different
memory map.

> Would it be possible to make one a diskless workstation?

Of course it is, but there are lots of things to hack for NetBSD to run on it.

> If not, does anyone know where I can get the VXT 2000 software so I can at least
> use it as an X terminal?

The location of the software for it was mentioned somewhere, the VXT is a
really usable X-terminal.

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.