Subject: Re: Vax no boot
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Kimmo Suominen <kim@tac.nyc.ny.us>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/04/2001 16:58:49
Sorry -- I should have made this more clear: Before the brown-out it was
happily booting off the net.  That's also why I was tcpdumping...

The MOP server logs the following repeatedly (the auto-boot never gives
up, whereas a manual "b esa0" eventually will):

    May  4 15:19:13 hrothgar mopd[212]:
	8:0:2b:f:87:9f (1) Do you have 08002b0f879f? (Yes)
    May  4 15:19:13 hrothgar mopd[212]:
	8:0:2b:f:87:9f Send me 08002b0f879f

From tcpdump I can also see that the MOP server is sending answers, but
the Vax keeps sending the same bits over and over, which leads me to
believe that it doesn't see the answers from the server.

I've checked the cables and connections: the tranceiver is screwed into
the Vax and the switch reports a good link (as does the tranceiver).

The auto-boot always tries the hard drive first (I don't know how to tell
it not to), but there is nothing there that it likes.

+ Kim