Subject: Re: 6310...
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/03/2001 20:44:59
On Thu, 3 May 2001, Gunther Schadow wrote:

> Robert F Schaefer wrote:
> >
> > Well, I finally got the VAX reassembled.  There's a few things I'd like to
> > verify, if anyone has a 6310 and can take a quick peek.
> >
> > There's a small cable that I didn't seem to have marked.  It's DEC
> > #17-01569-01, four single wires into a 10 pin socket, it starts out on the
> > VAXBI bus, top left connector looking in from the back.  It *might* not
> > have been connected before.
>
> You mean this here?
>
> http://aurora.rg.iupui.edu/~schadow/VAX/anatomy/small/DSCN0035.jpg

Yup, that's the one.  I didn't have a matchmark on it, which ment that it
only fit into one connector, or it wasn't connected at all.

> I am quite sure that it was connected. I am *fairly* sure that
> it ends here:
>
> http://aurora.rg.iupui.edu/~schadow/VAX/anatomy/small/DSCN0020.jpg
>
> yes, here you can see it in its full length
>
> http://aurora.rg.iupui.edu/~schadow/VAX/anatomy/small/DSCN0025.jpg

Hmmm, I'll probably have to plug that one in, I guess.

> > On the back of the 5 volt powersupplies, there's a plug w/ a red & a black
> > wire.  The plug has 6 positions, but only two wires-- do they go towards
> > the top, or towards the bottom?  I think they go down, but IDK.
>
> you mean this here?
>
> http://aurora.rg.iupui.edu/~schadow/VAX/anatomy/small/DSCN0029.jpg
>
> they are towards the bottom.

Yah, I saw a fuzzy picture at http://www.stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au/vax/
that seemed to have 'em on the bottom, too.

> > On the front of the power distribution box (looking in from the front of
> > the VAX, opposite the power cord) J6 & J7.  There is a connector with orange &
> > blue wires, and one with black & red wires.  IDK which one goes to which
> > connector.
>
> here you go:
>
> http://aurora.rg.iupui.edu/~schadow/VAX/anatomy/small/DSCN0046.jpg

Thanks.

> > I haven't powered her up yet, but I'll be picking up the parts to finish
> > the single-phase conversion in the next few days-- hopefully it won't be
> > too long!
>
> Great. Seems like yours is quite similar to our 6420s. You mentioned
> some NEMA number for a plug, where can I find a reference for those?
> Is there a web resource or something?

Point yer browser at http://www.nema.org, or take a shortcut to
http://www.nema.org/products/div5/5pr/nemawd-6.pdf (hand-copied)  That's a
20 MB(!) pdf that I would imagine have the details you are looking for.  (I
didn't verify that-- I'd still be waiting for it to download!)

If there's an electrical supply house, they should be able to help you.
I'd try there before I tried one of the home-improvement warehouses, if
you need to ask any kind of question.

As soon as I get things caught up and running, I'll post a HOWTO with a
few pics or something.

> thanks

Thank you.  I should be firing the VAX up before Not Too Long-- I'm
getting caught up on my other projects.

> -Gunther

Bob