Subject: RE: Interesting item on eBay web site item#1233065603: Digital Eq
To: Carlini, Antonio <Antonio.Carlini@riverstonenet.com>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/28/2001 16:24:56
On April 28, Carlini, Antonio wrote:
> 	>I always read that the uVAX II would be 4Mhz. What you say
> 	>is quiet surprising as I am pretty sure that a VAXstation
> 	>3100/30 is 11Mhz.
>
> 	The MicroVAX II was clocked at 40MHz (IIRC) and had a cycle time
> 	of 200ns (no cache needed since main memory was able
> 	to meet this).
>
> 	The VAXstation 3100 had a 90ns cycle time. I don't know
> 	at what speed it was clocked but the KA655 (also based
> 	on a CVAX chip) achieved a cycle time of 60ns from
> 	a 33MHz clock

  I had to think twice before disagreeing with Antonio...but as I recall
the 40MHz oscillator on a MicroVAX-II CPU board is passed through a
flip-flip to divide it by 2 before being used.  All of the docs I've
ever seen have always said that the 78032 chip is clocked at 20MHz,
and the onboard oscillator is definitely 40MHz (because I've replaced
a few with 50MHz oscillators)...if I get motivated enough I'll go grab
a board and try to find that flip-flip, but I'm very sure that the
processor is actually run at 20MHz.

           -Dave McGuire