Subject: Re: Interesting item on eBay web site item#1233065603: Digital Equipment
To: Dennis Grevenstein <dennis@pcde.inka.de>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/28/2001 16:21:43
On April 28, Dennis Grevenstein wrote:
> >   The MicroVAX-II processor is clocked at 20MHz.  Not that that has
> > anything to do with computer performance...
>
> Really?
> I always read that the uVAX II would be 4Mhz. What you say
> is quiet surprising as I am pretty sure that a VAXstation
> 3100/30 is 11Mhz.

  Nope, definitely 20MHz.  I'm not sure about the 3100/30, but it's
GOT to be higher than 11MHz...I will see if I can find out for sure.

> Do you know of any spec documents from DEC/Compaq online
> about this? I mean real numbers and not the comparison
> of VAX performance that expresses next to nothing.

  Nope...I'm not much into benchmarking...Though I probably should be.

> However, I think it's quiet surprising that this VAX sells
> for more than 50$. I always thought that these VAXen are
> something you get for free just because the previous
> owner does not want to pay the fee for dumping it.
> Anyway such a VAX is a really nice machine.

  I like them very much myself.  The history of our industry is very
important to me, and our industry was greatly affected by these
machines and their predecessors.

         -Dave McGuire