Subject: RE: Interesting item on eBay web site item#1233065603: Digital Eq
To: 'Dennis Grevenstein' <dennis@pcde.inka.de>
From: Carlini, Antonio <Antonio.Carlini@riverstonenet.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/28/2001 10:38:20
	Dennis Grevenstein wrote:

	>I always read that the uVAX II would be 4Mhz. What you say
	>is quiet surprising as I am pretty sure that a VAXstation
	>3100/30 is 11Mhz.

	The MicroVAX II was clocked at 40MHz (IIRC) and had a cycle time
	of 200ns (no cache needed since main memory was able
	to meet this).

	The VAXstation 3100 had a 90ns cycle time. I don't know
	at what speed it was clocked but the KA655 (also based
	on a CVAX chip) achieved a cycle time of 60ns from
	a 33MHz clock

	>Do you know of any spec documents from DEC/Compaq online
	>about this? I mean real numbers and not the comparison

	The DEC Technical Journals are online, although the
	first two volumes are *not* online. The rest you'll have
	to get from old manuals and Sales Updates (the
	Sales Updates back to 1994 were also online at one
	point but I cannot find them right now).

	>However, I think it's quiet surprising that this VAX sells
	>for more than 50$. I always thought that these VAXen are
	>something you get for free just because the previous
	>owner does not want to pay the fee for dumping it.

	All mine were free (except for one). It's just the luck of
	the draw I guess.

	>Anyway such a VAX is a really nice machine.

	Very true.

	Antonio