Subject: Thread Library - A Little Off Topic
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Harding <iharding@pakrat.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/25/2001 07:33:35
This is a little off topic since it concerns the i386 port, but here
goes anyway...

I have a rare opportunity at work to set up a web/database server for an
application I developed using whatever operating system I choose.  Of
course, I chose NetBSD.  The problem is that the web server
(AOLServer) is not 'confirmed' to run on NetBSD.  It will build on Open
and FreeBSDs.  The reason AOL gives me is that NetBSD does not have a
'thread library.'  I since found a couple of thread libraries in the
packages collection and installed one (PTL).

My question is, should this be sufficient to build a program that
requires a thread library (whatever that is.)?  I tried to build
AOLServer by telling the Makefile it was compiling on OpenBSD.  The
makefile has sections for both OpenBSD and FreeBSD.  Me looking at a
makefile is a bit like a pig looking at a wristwatch.

Second question, how big of an ordeal is this likely to be?  Should
I give up?

Ian