Subject: ze0 hangs completely after "xmit logic died"
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/19/2001 07:15:04
Hello all,

since several days, after having a lot of network traffic on my VAX 4000-105A
here running NetBSD-1.5S, i have seen a very evil thing several times.
From time to time, the machine just hangs. After looking closer, it was not
the machine which hangs completely, just the network, which hangs. (Without
NFS homedirs and DNS it simplay doesn't feel that well :)
After halting, it may happen, that the network interface (SGEC) doesn't work
correctly, it gets very slow until it halts during loading the kernel.
I have seen a similar problem on one of my 4000/90s also, there it seemed the
interface has completely died, it didn't boot, even after several retries.

Here are the "last words" before such a thing happens:

Apr 18 23:37:24 nereus /netbsd: ze0: xmit logic died, resetting...
Apr 18 23:40:34 nereus last message repeated 2 times
Apr 18 23:41:45 nereus /netbsd: nfs server raider:/export/home: not responding
Apr 18 23:43:46 nereus ypbind[111]: nereus.unixiron.org: Host name lookup failure

And so on... until 7:02 when i got up today :)

Is there still being worked on the SGEC driver, or does someone have a clue
what to search for in it to get rid of this really evil problem?

...Michael

--
In TV, there are bluescreens to put a faked reality behind a real played scene,
in Windows, you sometimes see the real scene, when the fakes go out for lunch.