Subject: Re: vax 4000/400 & 4000/600
To: Chris <chris@openecs.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/15/2001 13:20:43
Chris is right, however its a bit easier than checking part numbers to
figure it out.

The 4000/200 is a KA660 and uses a straight Qbus backplane. The front
consisted of a standard dual thick skunk box bulkhead (identical to the one
on the Mv3300/3400)

The 4000/300 introduced a new CPU "box" to the design and the backplane had
the CPU box section on the right handside and the Q-bus slots on the left.
This has a CPU bulkhead that is a 'door' you open up to get access to a CPU
slot and the 4 Memory bus slots. Further, on the front of these are two
DSSI connectors (often with terminators) to give you access to the dual
DSSI busses available on the KA670 and above.

The KA670 was also the first CPU in that series to have an 'L' number as
opposed to an 'M' number. (Some digit could probably tell you how modules
got numbers but it isn't obvious to me :-)

The KA670 uses MS670 memory. Further that memory is ECC and resides on the
Mbus in the CPU box. The KA675 (4000/400) could use MS670 memory as well.
However the KA680 (4000/500) needed faster (and wider I believe) memory.
For a _very_ short time as far as I can tell DEC made MS680 memory modules
but then nearly immediately went to MS690 memory which can be used on the
600/700 and 705. The 32MB boards were used with the 500. THe
500/600/700/705 are all NVAX machines, the 300/400 are Rigel machines I
believe.

Generally when I attempted to power up a KA680 with MS670 memory it didn't
work, but it did get past the basic function test (F) in this case and got
so far as test 30 or so before spewing a bunch of memory errors on the screen.

--Chuck