Subject: Re: UPDATE (was: Re: VAX 6000-400 series and NetBSD, I have machines)
To: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/08/2001 21:10:19
On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Brian Chase wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Robert F Schaefer wrote:
>
> > I heard about two VAX looking for a good home on c.o.v, and I offered to
> > take them in if he couldn't find a buyer.  One is a VAX 4300, the other a
> > 6130, located in Newark, Ohio.  I've seen pictures of the 4300, and I feel
> > pretty confident I could manage it myself if I had to, but I've never laid
> > eyes on a 6xxx cabinet before.
>
> Well, it'll be the same as the VAX 6000-420.  I'm still getting the rest
> of the pics together, but here's one of Gunther and I getting ready to
> angle the VAX back in order to wheel it onto the lift.
>
>   http://world.std.com/~bdc/pics/vax6000-420.jpg

Ok, that should fit in the minivan with the seats out.  Still might get
the pickup tho, I've got a lot of other work to do anyway.

> > On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
>
> > > While you'd likely survive any incident that caused the load to leave the
> > > vehicle, a 1200lb VAX landing on top of a car would flatten it, to say
> > > nothing about someone hitting it at speed once it came to rest.
> >
> > This is making me a little nervous.  Is 1200 lbs a normal config, or all
> > decked out with everything that'll fit?  I remember hearing some 300+
> > kilos, which is doable, but I'm not sure I wanna put 1000+ in the back of
> > the pickup.
>
> Everything I've seen and read puts them at about 318kg without drives and
> the battery backup option for the RAM.  And the ones we moved were
> definitely not anywhere near 1200lbs.  As you can tell by the picture,
> Gunther and I are not rippling with muscles.  Nor did we even gain any
> sort of "mass" advantage on the VAX by being overweight.

Ok.  I guess that's a solid number I can plan around.  Don't think I can
do it myself tho.  I'll see what I can set up on monday.  Actually, I *do*
have some experience moving pieces of electrical switchgear, about the
same width and length, but taller, and ranging in weight from ~150# to
500#+.  Pretty top-heavy, too.  We'll see, I guess.

> -brian.

Bob