Subject: Re: UPDATE (was: Re: VAX 6000-400 series and NetBSD, I have machines)
To: Brian Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Matthew N. Dodd <winter@jurai.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/08/2001 05:33:16
On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Brian Chase wrote:
> Once you get the VAX inside of the truck and settled neear the back,
> you'll need a 9/16in or a 14mm crescent wrench to lower the feet on
> the VAX in order to stablize it for the trip.  I hit some really bumpy
> roads and a number of hills on the way back home, but the VAX didn't
> tip over. These systems didn't have disk drives either, with an RA90
> or the SA7x style drive arrays, you'll have an even lower center of
> gravity on the VAX.  A definite plus for stability.

Having had a bit of experience moving large, heavy computing devices I
can't stress enough the importance of using positive restraints.  The
fiberglass walls of those trucks won't even slow down a big box on the way
out.  Use nylon cargo straps with the racheting tensioners (In fact,
spring for the heavy duty ones as those are longer and offer you more
options when it comes to reaching useful hardpoints).

While you'd likely survive any incident that caused the load to leave the
vehicle, a 1200lb VAX landing on top of a car would flatten it, to say
nothing about someone hitting it at speed once it came to rest.

I'm at the point where I actually have to shop around for a truck with a
lift and load capacity large enough to handle the stuff I'm moving.  :/

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |