Subject: Re: UPDATE (was: Re: VAX 6000-400 series and NetBSD, I have machines)
To: Geoff Roberts <geoffrob@stmarks.pp.catholic.edu.au>
From: Robert F Schaefer <rschaefe@gcfn.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/07/2001 06:54:29
On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Geoff Roberts wrote:

> > On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Brian Chase wrote:
> <snip>
> > The lesson here is that you can move a VAX 6000 (or multiple VAX 6000s)
> > with only two people, as long as you can overcome the lifting onto and off
> > of the vehicle used to transport the VAX.
>
> I've even done it single handed, using a combination of a handcart and the
> wheels.  But the more hands the better is a good rule of thumb.  Once you
> get them on a smooth solid surface they move around quite easily. (And I had
> a mate with a forklift get it off the truck first, cost me a half a slab.
> :^)
> I might also add that the handcart is solid steel, hand made by my late
> grandfather as part of his fitting and turning apprenticeship in 1923.

Can you give me a little more detail about moving a VAX 6xxx?  I'm about
to go pick one up, but I don't think I'll be able to have any help along.
My plan was to lay it over into the back of a minivan, but I think I might
need to partially disassemble the beast.  Will she come apart with a
couple'a screwdrivers, or do I need something a little more persuasive?
She's also gonna go into the basement, but I'll be able to draft a little
brother or two for that part.

> Cheers
> Geoff in Oz

Bob