Subject: Re: UPDATE (was: Re: VAX 6000-400 series and NetBSD, I have machines)
To: Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
From: Peter Svensson <petersv@psv.nu>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/03/2001 19:07:26
On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Gunther Schadow wrote:

> from cold in the Indiana winter if left in the garage. OTOH, I'm
> afraid that when bringing it down in parts I might damage things
> or get it messed up. Is there some way to get rid of 10 cm off
> the cabinet's width without having to screw up everything?

Most vaxen cabinets I have seen have a riveted frame. By removing the side
pannels and unscrewing their holding "buttons" yo can probably save 5 cm
or so. The cabinet that some uVAXII came in (I have forgotten the name of
that enclosure) hade really wide sides to direct airflow, but htat is the
only one I have seen.

One solution I have witnessed to the "my-vax-is-too-big-for-my-door" was
to saw off the doorframe just above the height of the vax, roll it in and
then reattaching the piece of the frame again. Agter a little paintwork
the door was as good as new. This was in a rented appartment. :-)
I lost contact the the people involved but I think the next tenant must
have been confused trying to remove the vax. I heared thet left the broken
11/750 behind...

Some cabinets have weights under the side panels to stabilize them. It is
really helpful to remove those prior to climbing stairs with a vax. :-)
We have disassembled/reassembled quite a few old vaxen to move them
up/down stairs. It works if you are careful.

Peter
--
Peter Svensson      ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
<petersv@psv.nu>    ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3  07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF