Subject: Re: Install problems
To: Zoltan ZSIDO , <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/01/2001 09:23:33
At 11:50 AM 4/1/01 +0200, Zoltan ZSIDO wrote:
>Recently I was able to install 1.4.3 on a KA650 with 32MB RAM system, but
>when it boots, everything die with a SIGSEGV. During the boot when qe0 has
>been initialized the 'ring buffer overrun' message appears many times,
>then fsck die, then sh die many times ... and the boot process gives up.

The ring buffer overruns are normal, but the massive SEGVs are not. There
are several ways to do this:
         1) Install the wrong kernel (this sounds like your problem)
         2) You've got a bad memory page that only gets hit once
            the full up system is coming up.
         3) Your libc.so file is corrupted. (so your having disk
            problems)

I run 1.4.2 on a KA650 in a BA123 and caveat the ring overruns (which I've
commented out of the driver) it runs fine.

--Chuck