Subject: Re: boot disk configuration VAXstation4000vlc
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/01/2001 17:39:41
On Sun, Apr 01 2001 at 15:27:52 +0200, Norbert Koch wrote:
> Now I try to directly boot from the built in scsi drive
> of my 4000vlc (looks like Conner 120MB).
Yes, it's an OEM Connor 30100 made for DEC :-)

> I used disklabel to write boot blocks and partition
> the scsi drive. When I try to boot I see this:
[...]
> ">>> boot dka300"
> " 85 RESTART SYS"
> " 84 FAIL"
> " 83 BOOT SYS"
> ""

> What do I do wrong?
Have you copied the boot programm to the root partition?
(/usr/mdec/boot)

> Do I have to specify the boot block file (which I did not)
I don't think so...

> or will disklabel automatically use the correct one (/usr/mdec/sdboot, I
> suppose)?
They are all the same (hardlinks).

> Do I have to edit /etc/disktab or do I have to specify a certain disk type?
No and no.

> Does the scsi drive have to have a certain id?
I doubt so. I used the defaults.

I did Friday exactly what you are trying to do. I think did:
* netbooted the vax
* disklabeled the disk:
	disklabel sd0 > label
	vi label
	disklabel -R sd0 label
* newfs'ed the partitions
* mounted them
* copied all the stuff I wanted to that disc
* copied /usr/mdec/boot to the root partition of that disc
* disklabel -B sd0

Maybe you should repeat the last two steps and see if it works.

--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.